Saturday, July 6, 2013

Depression Cake

I have a problem:

I eat too much cake.

It's like an addiction.  An obsession, really.  Chocolate cake, vanilla cake, red velvet cake, cupcakes, ice cream cake.  I'll eat it all.  

In light of summertime -- bathing suit season -- I have been telling myself, on a daily basis, that I should swear-off treats. I know this is a worthless idea.  I have no-where-near-enough self-control to stop eating cakes or treats. Living in Boston does not help my predicament, as there seems to be come sort of treat shop within walking distance of my apartment that is open all hours of the night.

Tonight, I ate a healthy salad for dinner and told myself (sternly): NO TREATS.  This should have been an easy pact to keep with myself, as it is way too hot outside to be walking about the city on a treat-hunt.  Also, our refrigerator is broken and won't be fixed until tomorrow, so there is no milk or eggs or butter with which I could concoct homemade treats.

Well... Guess what happened?

That's right... Where there's a will, there's a way.

I went to the Internet and found a cake recipe that does not require milk or eggs or butter.  It is called Depression Cake, because it originated in the Depression, when milk, eggs, and butter were scarce.

That sucker took 35 minutes to bake and came out tasting like a chocolate-scented kitchen sponge.  So, in further creative (read: desperate) brainstorming, I smeared Marshmallow Fluff all over the top of the "cake."  (I don't even know why I own a jar of Fluff.  It was way in the back of the pantry.  I don't remember buying it, and it doesn't expire until 2014 -- Swell. Healthy. Good choice, Mare.)

And now here I am, thinking about the warm weather and my less-than-athletic appearance in a bathing suit and having just eaten a terrible hunk of dessert made from ingredients that would survive an apocalypse. (Seriously, in hindsight, that cake rose with the help of baking soda and vinegar.  I use baking soda and vinegar to unclog drains in my shower.  What could that be doing to my insides right now?!)

Well, it was appropriately named.  Depression Cake.

In other news, I'll be going for a run tomorrow morning.

1. Working refrigeration 
2. Exercise
3. Creativity (even when the result is a comical failure)

No comments:

Post a Comment